Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Winding Down

Well, I've only got five more days on the island. Just like last year, it feels as if I just arrived. I'll miss the island, but am looking forward to some of the comforts and conveniences of the mainland. Turning the knob labeled "H" and actually getting hot water. A relatively frequent hot shower, not the infrequent warm showers we take out here. Cooking only for myself, and not 3-5 others (makes me appreciate my Mom even more). Maybe I'll even go out to dinner. Reliable internet connectivity. Seeing more than the island and the ocean as my surroundings. Of course, there are things that I will surely miss. The chance of seeing a rare bird on any given day. Not having to go grocery shopping. Cooking only twice a week, and yet eating great meals. Not having to drive anywhere. Observing all the birds, sharks, seals, and whales, pretty much out my front door. The ability to tune in and out of the happenings of the world at will. I can’t say enough about how wonderful this island is, but the other side is that it’s a very small, remote, rocky island which can start to drive you batty. Oh, that reminds me, there’s also the possibility of finding a migrating bat. Anyway, I’ve had a great time, and I hope to have the opportunity to come out again next year.


I keep forgetting to mention that biologists out here also have a blog (losfarallones.blogspot.com). They’ve been doing it for a couple of years and it has some cool info about the island and the other work that is done out here.
Brown Sea Nettle - a type of jellyfish
Several hundred of these guys floated past one day
Wind blown waves during a great sunset
The Beard - Day 52

No comments: